Saturday 19 November 2011

Beetroot and Goat Cheese Salad

Recently as I was eating yet another beetroot and goat cheese salad (this last one in Texas), I realised that I had eaten this salad, in multiple countries around the world. So I thought a compare and contrast would be fun.

Texas style, Kenny and Ziggy's, Houston Texas, September 2011 (in case there are any doubts, this was HUGE, more platter size than plate)



Slightly more refined in Dublin, Ireland, June 2010, Marco Pierre White's Steakhouse and Grill. The thinly sliced beetroot almost visible under the greenery. This was sensational.





I know I've eaten this in Australia and New Zealand too, but sadly can't find any photographic evidence.

Do you have any meals that you will eat wherever you see them in the world?


This post is linked to Weekend Cooking, a fabulous weekly meme at Beth Fish Reads.


14 comments:

  1. The salads both look delicious, it's a combination I've not tried yet - but will soon!
    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both salads look so good. Beets and goat cheese are such a fantastic combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh fun! I'm not sure if there are dishes I always order no matter where I am, but I love the difference between the salads here. Beets, goat cheese, and greens is an awesome combination, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. love beets...love goat cheese...this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had a salad with beets and goat cheese this week... there were walnuts in it, too. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny, as I say in my Sunday post, goats cheese is one of my least favorite foods. But I love beetroot. I think I don't like melted goats cheese in particular, so this salad might be OK. I'd probably try it because of the beetroot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me it's a veggie panini. Some have been fairly pathetic, but others I keep going back to whenever I can. The first salad shown could easily become a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What food have I eaten in various countries? I'm going to have to say french fries. I have kids--that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

    And coffee, of course. [The best coffee I had was in France, btw].

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would eat sushi no matter where I was ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do I see candied nuts hiding in the American one, or is that just wishful thinking on my behalf? Oh how I love the way Americans sneak dessert ingredients into their salads...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm good question! I know there is a whole list of things that I always must order but the first one that springs to mind is bannoffee! :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I probably have eaten chips/fries in multiple countries, but I do eat them rarely. Now sushi, I eat that everywhere too! Hannah there were some nuts there- walnuts I think, possibly pecans, I can't quite remember, and can't quite see. NQN- banoffee is an excellent suggestion too, although sadly I don't seem to come across it all that often.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love noodles especially noodle soup-Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese, Filipino.
    Another will be bagel-middle eastern bagel or Turkish bagel.

    ReplyDelete