Monday 7 February 2011

Lychees- almost Low GI

I recently discovered fresh lychees for the first time! One of those great moments of serendipity. Shopping with my son, for some reason he was keen to buy some lychees- he wanted to try them. Of courese he didn't like them for some reason. Lychees would seem a kids favourite- sweet, mildly flavoured jelly like fruit- what's not to like?



Lychees are almost low GI (GI value 57, which is medium GI, whereas low GI is <55). They have lots of health benefits besides their delicious taste. High in Vitamin C (just 9 would supply an adults daily requirement), trace elements and cancer fighting compounds.

Canned lychees tend to be packed in sugar syrup and are high GI, and so to be avoided. Another reason to tuck into the simple beauty of the fresh fruit.

And just a quick google for lychee recipes provides a wealth of cocktail recipes! They definitely look to be worth exploring.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, how I love lychees. Those look like really nice, "meaty" specimens. Too bad your son didn't like them, but I guess it's his loss... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right, his loss, my gain. I'll keep trying, he might come around. You never know with kids. Hide some in a fruit salad one day, and he might love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, who wouldn't like lychees?! Crazy times! :P Next step: rambutans and longans, although I must admit I prefer lychees a thousand times over to those...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had rambutans before, but not for a very long time. I love the look of them, they look so fabulous. I don't think I've ever had a longan. Maybe one day some freeze dried mangosteen? Although I suspect that I will never like any freeze dried product- all I get is a semblance of styrofoam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I buy lychees while I am in Beirut, as they are widely available when in season. I prefer the fresh ones to the canned ones and once made a rose water and lychee jelly. Delicate and delicious fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are so delicate and delicious aren't they? I'm so glad I discovered them.

    ReplyDelete